Thursday, July 2, 2009

Gamer Writer - Maybe Not

You know, about every gamer I have ever met has said "I would give my left "insert body part here" to write about games for a living. Sure they have but what is the reality?

I am a writer, and whatever my client asks for that is what I write about. Lately, my clients have asked for game material. I am also a gamer and it seemed ideal to me. Write about something I enjoy? How sweet.

The reality though is not so sweet, as I found out. First, the games that my clients ask for are not always the ones I really enjoy playing. No problem, I don't particularly enjoy cleaning my fridge out but I have written about it before, and there's always the chance that I will be asked to write about one of my favorite games.

Here's the real deal on writing about games. You spend a lot of time researching the game itself and a lot more time reading what other people are saying about the game before you ever load it up, and when you do finally get to play, it is to be able to write knowledgeably about the game mechanics, controls and general playability.

Oh and beta keys, yeah those come with game writing too sometimes but in my experience, well it's not always the most pleasurable thing to play a game and every moment be thinking about what you will be saying about it.

Recently I had to opportunity to write about a game that I enjoy, World of Warcraft. I reviewed certain paid guides that are out on the net. Believe me, it wasn't as fun as it sounds when you are not doing it.

Maybe it sounds like a dream job but believe me every "job" has it's drawbacks and in game writing it is paid for in loss of time in games you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment