Monday, May 4, 2009

My First Post On My New Blog

Everyone should have a little bit to say about themselves and in my first post that seems a good place to start. I am a widowed female who loves to write. How's that for a complete picture?
No...probably not yet.
Ok, let's try this. I am a "mature" middle aged widow who loves to write and came by it later in life.
I began my academic studies concentrating on of all things I could have chosen, accounting. With my slightly skewed viewpoint on what work should be and how numbers SHOULD be variable, this was not a good mix.
I switched majors to psychology and this worked much better for me. Numbers are not so much a variable but people are infinitely so, and fascinating as well.
I married late and have no children. After my husband passed I changed my focus from others to myself.
This might sound a little selfish, it surely does to me even now, but it worked for me at the time and is working for me still.
I began freelancing some three or four years ago. It began innocuously enough with a simple blog. Not a personal one but a professional blog where I had chosen to write with what was to me a wildly different an interesting voice for the blogger. Nothing like myself, this blogger was young and rather indiscreet and very self absorbed so not only did one get the information they sought on the blog but a glimpse into a person's life and thoughts (albeit a made up personality).
People who had read the blog and knew me and believed in the young blogger voice, began asking me to post to their blogs and that's when I began to write for pay.
I learned a lot during that time about how wordpress works, which templates are good for SEO and which ones are harder for the spiders to index. I learned about keyword density, as well as keyword stuffing and why and how to avoid it.
This entire new career has been an adventure. I view it more as a pleasure than work though it can provide a decent income.
Freelance writing is not easy and nothing I have done before in my life prepared me for this adventure. I have times of self doubt and still don't believe I can turn out good ad copy though I am told otherwise by persons I respect. It is however immensely rewarding and allows me to indulge this passion I have found for expressing myself via the written word.

No comments:

Post a Comment